Welcome To Fort York Food Bank
The wives, girlfriends and relatives of the Toronto Raptors players set the pace off the court this past holiday season as the lead donor to Fort York Food Bank (FYFB)'s annual Holiday Fund Appeal when they presented a $5,000 cheque from the Raptors Foundation (MLSE Team Up Foundation) Click here for more.
For more than a decade, FYFB been delivering a program of integrated services focused on reconnecting people with our community. We do this by working with partners who share our vision to:
- Feed the hungry - provide the basic nutritional requirements to individuals and families in need.
- Help people get on track - provide counselling, training and advocacy to help people find jobs, safe housing and appropriate social/community programs.
Core Programs & Services
- Our Food Program provides a three-day supply of groceries, consistent with the Canada Food Guide, to low income individuals and families within our community.
- Our Counselling & Advocacy program prevents homelessness and eliminates hunger by assisting our clients to resolve the underlying issues affecting them. Our volunteers are trained counsellors including lawyers, accountants and other professionals.
- Our Community Drop-In Centre delivers a range of personal services in a safe environment including meals through a community kitchen, internet/computer access along with clothing and books.
- Our Community Vitality program helps engage our client base with the broader community through economic development initiatives, life-skills/nutrition classes, computer training, special events and a community garden.
Who We Serve
The population using our services lives in extreme poverty in the downtown Toronto area. We assist a diverse group of people comprised of various family sizes and ethno-cultural communities who survive on an average of less than $4 per day after paying for their occupancy expenses. The vast majority of our clients are recently unemployed or underemployed. FYFB provides the integrated set of services they require to reintegrate with our community.
What can you do in a decade? How about serve 100,000 meals through our community kitchen. Or provide more than $3,000,000 of food. Or help more than 10,000 people through our counseling and advocacy services.
FYFB celebrates a decade of building community and helping people in need in downtown Toronto as we unveil our 10 year history. Click here to take a look at the impact FYFB has had in our community over the past decade.
FYFB was founded in February 1998 as an independent agency of the Daily Bread Food Bank Foundation of Toronto. We were established as a not for profit corporation in May 1999 and registered as a charity (867147464 RR0001) in September 1998. We are governed by a voluntary Board of Directors who is elected by our membership at our AGM. FYFB originally focused on providing emergency food supplies, but we have witnessed a substantial change in the needs of our clients. Life has become increasingly challenging for them and we have adapted to successfully meet their needs. We have evolved from a food program into providing an integrated set of services. Click here to learn more about our commitment to stakeholder accountability and transparency.